Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Really Simple Kale Salad

The first entry of my Take it to work! Recipe Series


I love all those recipes that are advertised as "Only 6 Ingredients!" or "In-Your-Sleep-Simple!" and when you actually look them up, they're completely impractical. Sure, only 6 ingredients I've never heard of! Sound familiar?

Recipes included in my Take it to work! series are actually simple and try to stay away from complicated ingredients. I also list options so you can customize the recipe to what you have in your kitchen or if you're particularly pressed for time. When appropriate, I'll even try to list the ingredients by which ones are necessary and which ones are just nice extra touches. That way you know what you can get away with... and when it comes to cooking, I'm always interested in what I can get away with.

Ultimately, I'm just kind of a lazy cook. Sometimes, laziness + creativity = simplicity.

Introducing, my Really Simple Kale Salad



Ta da!
I know some of my ingredients (like the black lava sea salt) seem fancy, but I just used those because I happen to have them around. Generic salts and oils will work fine!


The Necessities:

1 bunch Kale (duh)
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup Orange Juice
2 tsp Salt
Chopped Walnuts (to taste)

Extra touches:

Sesame Seed Oil
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Lime Juice

Don't like measuring? No problem, just eyeball the ingredients to your taste. More oil, less oil, more juice, less juice... within reason, all you're doing is changing the consistency of the salad. Just add a little at a time until you like what you see (and smell! Use your sense of smell to test how strong your flavors are!) I very much encourage just winging it!


Wash the kale, and just with your hands pull off the outer edges of the leaves and throw into a large mixing bowl. Add oil(s), orange juice, and salt, and mix with your hands for a couple minutes. Work  leaves so that they are thoroughly covered. Add walnuts (and seeds, if you've got them), toss, and throw it in a Tupperware container. You're done.




2 comments: